Friday, October 26, 2012

Camera obsession

For the longest time I had an obsession with this "toy" camera called a Holga.  Sophomore year of  college I took my first color photography class, and my Professor was one of those rare teachers who was a kindred spirit.  She got me on what has been a quest to buy, fix and use rare, interesting cameras.  It's easy to take a good photo with an expensive camera and photoshop (also not surprisingly, easy to take AWFUL photos with an expensive camera).  However, can you take interesting, reflective images with a plastic box and a plastic lens?  Ahh haa.

There is something about film cameras and in particular cameras such as brownies, land cameras, pinholes, etc that fascinate me.  So recently I caved, bought a Holga and have been shooting people and street art with it.  Side note, I bought it at Urban Outfitters so I could use cheaper 35mm film and have been feeling remorseful ever since.  I intend to purchase a real medium-format Holga soon.  There are two final cameras I am craving for my collection: a Leica (which I will never be able to afford) and a Rolleiflex.  In particular, I REALLY REALLY want a Rolleiflex.  I don't know if I will ever be able to take a single good photo with it, but I really want to try.  It's this ultimate stripped down camera, where there are so few bells and whistles, you have to know what you are doing to take anything, let alone something someone would want to see.   I hope one day I can get one and see what kind of photographer I really am.

xoxo
Lauren


No comments: